Monday, May 22, 2006

10 Favorite Kitchen gadgets

These cool gadgets make me a very happy girl in the kitchen. I had more than one favorite so I decided to list my top 10. What's your favorite gadget?

10.Culinary Torch ( This is fun to work with. Its a hit with the kids)
9. Herb Mill (this is great if you dotn want to use the food processor)
8.Microplane Rotary Grater (It comes in real handy when you want to grate really hard cheeses)
7.Mortar and pestle (I prefer the marble ones. The ones made out of steel tends to be heavy and the wooden ones tend to wear out fast. They have really neat looking ones in India)
6.Meat Pounder(I use this to crush garlic and other stuff too. Maybe I shouldnt but hey, it works for me. It also helps me release a little steam :))
5. Blender (Great product. I just learned that if you grind up the the skin of an orange in the blender, it takes away the smells some ingredients tend to leave behind)

4.Rice Cooker ( Anyone who is Asian and a woman will understand why this is an answer to prayers. I remember in my teens when I had to make rice the every other day the old school way. Boil the water, put rice in and then drain the water and in the process get burns on your arms. Not anymore. And then of course there are some people who really claim they can taste the difference. Whatever!!)
3.Henckels Four-Star Chef's Knife ( I use this to chop and dice anything. It's not a good idea. Oh well. Get a good knife)
2.KitchenAid Mixer (I think this is a must have especially if you like to bake, make bread or make yummy south indian dishes like my mom. It just makes things a lot easier and is worth the money)
1.Le Creuset Wide Dutch Oven (This is great if you want to cook for a lot of people and you can also put it in the oven. I really like this one)

4 Comments:

At May 23, 2006 6:01 AM, Blogger meredith said...

Hmm, the torch is useful for creme brulee and.... anything else? Everything else on your list is a delight to use. I will confess that I never use the meat hammer. It is part of my campaign to have nothing I could misuse in a fit of temper. :)

Having never used a rice-cooker, I cannot say if it is worth the kitchen space. I always cook rice the old-fashioned way, in a pan with water. It always comes out fine and I never get steams burns...the key is the kind of rice used maybe. I like basmati or jasmine.

You have excellent taste in kitchen gadgetry, Saj!

 
At May 23, 2006 10:34 AM, Blogger sajini said...

Thanks Meredith!!! Yeah, the blow torch can also be used to scare kids. Its fun!! :) Well, My parents made us eat rice almost everyday. So, yeah, its not worth the kitchen space but if you dont eat it on a daily basis. I like basmati but we only used it for special occasions. :)

 
At May 24, 2006 3:44 AM, Blogger Raj said...

think the pounder is the best :)has survived over ages :)

 
At May 24, 2006 1:56 PM, Blogger iconoclasm said...

I would add ceramic knives, a cork scew, and a needle thermometer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Users