Tuesday, April 18, 2006

An Interview on Dr. Phil Ryken's life and ministry.. so far..

Here's an interview Mark Dever had with Dr. Phil Ryken. I first heard pastor Ryken 6 and half years ago. He is a prolific writer and a gifted expositor of God's Word. It was around that time I was introduced to solid Christian preaching and pastors who were teaching the congregation the Word of God and the Salvation that they have in Christ. Coming from a church where a good portion of the time I was being fed watered-down, Anything-Goes so Here's-A-Big-Hug messages, I was loving the God glorifying and convicting messages at Tenth and the ministries. So, all you far away Tenth folks, take some time to hear this interview. It is an hour long. I hope it brings back some great memories as it did for me. And all you non Tenth folks who are interested in hearing the interview, here's a brief overview of the interview( Forgive me, I dont remember everything he spoke about).

1- Ryken's background
2- Best book/recommended authors
3- The Vision of the church for the future of the ministry at 10th Presbyterian Church. (Meredith, We'll have to chat about this one)
4- Ministering in an urban area( some good stuff).
5- Balancing work and life within the ministry

There is more but this is all I can remember.

5 Comments:

At April 18, 2006 5:19 PM, Blogger meredith said...

Thanks for posting this! I am looking forward to listening to it next Sunday. This week is nuts - our 12-year-old niece is here for a week to learn English (!!) and my husband is sick. Oh, and there's the small matter of a thesis deadline for my supervisor at Oxford...ACKKK! Anyway, looking forward to chatting about Phil's vision. And other things....

At the risk of sounding like a cheerleader (shudder) I would like to say for the record that Phil is the most responsive and disciplined pastor I know. He pretty much executes the model of 'how to do pastoral ministry' -- it was strange to read books on the subject in seminary and realise that Phil was doing everything in the books. Yet he's not manic! Amazing. :)

 
At April 18, 2006 5:46 PM, Blogger sajini said...

Yeha i think hes pretty great too.. I'm trying not to put him on a pedestal!! Yes, we will have things to talk about. Maybe on monday, I'll call. I'll be in Virginia this weekend. Maybe Monday is good for chatting. By then I'll have checked out that sovreign grace church. :)

 
At April 19, 2006 12:34 PM, Blogger Sujith said...

at least ppl like him are doing good to the society!

 
At April 19, 2006 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saj, I was just reading that blog called girltalk. Their latest post is a tad bit legalistic. There was one part where I was rolling my eyes.
"3. Strapless gowns or dresses with only spaghetti straps are revealing and thus do not serve the men in attendance at your wedding."
They are joking right? Let me know what you think. Better yet, post on these ridiculous rules that some of these women come up with nowadays.
I went gown shopping again yesterday and I think I found me a dress. Its pure white, has spaghetti straps and is not poofy. It has great potential. Hopefully you will get to see it next week. I'll miss you at church. Have fun in VA beach.

 
At April 19, 2006 5:34 PM, Blogger sajini said...

Lisa, no comments for now on that blog!! I havent quite got a grip on some of the things addressed in that blog and even some ways they happen to address about women in the church. And when I do, I'll definitly post on it.

OOO I want to see the dress. But that was a really bad job at describing the dress to me. You just decribed almost half of the dresses out there. :) Just playing with you!! Spagetti straps!! My my, is your pastor going to marry you and Tom?? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Users