Wednesday, April 12, 2006


Awake and Sing

"Awake and sing for joy, O dwellers in the dust" (Isaiah 26:19)

Last night, I got to check out a play called Awake and Sing. The story is about a Jewish Family who is trying to survive the Great Depression. They are all crammed into an Apartment in the New York City's Bronx and share the primary activity of struggling for life in the most pathetic conditions. The story is humorous as well as heartbreaking. If you want to read more on the play, go to this site. There was one part of the play that stuck with me. It was when tough guy Moe Axelrod went from trading loud insults with Henny to turning into a poet telling her "you're home for me, a place to live!" and not to "gimme ice when your heart's on fire." All this happened in a matter of 30 seconds. Hah!! Of course, I held my laughter till after the play. I did not want mean looks from people. But those early to mid 1900 love scenes always crack me up. You slap a guy and he kisses you. I wonder how well that works nowadays!!!

So, after the play, my friends and I waited around to meet some of the cast. And we met Mark Ruffalo. He played Moe Axelrod. He was in some mainstream movies like 13 going on 30, Collateral and Just like Heaven.We met others too but they werent too eager to talk to us. I dont blame them. It was getting late and they must have been tired. Anyhow, it was a good night considering Bebo Norman and Caedmon's Call are'nt coming. Ok, I'll stop complaining !!!!

6 Comments:

At April 12, 2006 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you wore black. I didnt know you owned black clothes or is it mine?

 
At April 12, 2006 11:57 PM, Blogger sajini said...

Hah!! Yes, its mine. But next time I want to wear black or grey shirt, I'll be raiding your closet, you black/grey clothes wearing lady!!

 
At April 13, 2006 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sajini! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I am very curious as to how you found me!! Would you mind going back and leaving a comment to tell me? :) Thanks! I have enjoyed browsing a little of your blog, too. God bless...

 
At April 14, 2006 12:40 AM, Blogger Sujith said...

seems u've enjoyed a lot. btw i've seen that film, just like heaven. i liked it. good that u met him :-)

 
At April 14, 2006 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy resurection weekend Saji. See you next week

 
At April 25, 2006 5:57 PM, Blogger ckjolly said...

It always seems like you're doing some fun new thing in New York. I've almost a mind to fly out there, give you a call, and ask you to show me a good NY time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Online Users